Friday, February 10, 2017

Exercise is not my favorite

I know, I know... kinda dumb to say considering I run a fitness-based business!  I try to keep it real, though, so for the sake of honesty, I just don't enjoy exercise.  So why do I do it, and why do I hope everyone else does, too?

Since my teenage years, I've had one medical thing or another going on.  Migraines (including loss of vision and others that mimic stroke), syncope, ulcers, inflammatory arthritis, osteoarthritis, mitral valve prolapse, degenerative disc disease, spontaneous dissection of my carotid and vertebral arteries (at the same time, in the same location, egads!), fibromyalgia, kidney stones and infections, breast lumps (with biopsies), pre-cancerous cells here and there, and I've been "watched" for more things than I can remember or name.  With all that came a lot of medication, testing, missed time from work, and medical bills.  At one point, I just got tired of living like that.  Each day had me feeling like a zombie, worried about bills, and unhappy in general.  I was fairly certain that exercise was out of the question... it honestly never occurred to me to give that a shot as it hurt to move from point A to point B as it was.

Enter a lovely rheumatologist in the early 2000's who, upon our initial consult, highly suggested working with a nutritionist to try and heal my body from within.  I remember thinking and saying "if it's not covered by insurance, I can't afford it".  Which was the case.  I wish, though, I pushed harder to do something about it for myself all those years ago.

Fast forward to my meeting Michael and trying to keep up with him and the three kiddos.  No small feat!  They are, all 4, vibrant and active people who love life and exploring.  I clearly remember going to Disneyworld and, on day 3, hoping I'd just die because the pain was at an 11.  My oldest stepson is very aware of how others are feeling and persuaded everyone to just take a rest day when he realized how much I was struggling.  Imagine that!  I was overcome with gratitude but also ashamed that my little family would spend a full day of a short vacation just hanging out because I couldn't cope.  Ugh.



A couple of years later, after booking a winter trip to Florida, a friend posted about a new program that combined exercise and nutrition to help you get ready for the beach.  How timely, I thought!  Forget the exercise part, but here was a fairly affordable way to learn how to eat with support and guidance!  So I signed up, and Mike joined me.

I'm not going to lie, there was a lot of "what the hell did I agree to" moments when my kit came and I started trying to figure out meal plans for both of us and how to fit time in for blasted exercise (my nemesis, but an integral part of this whole process).  But every morning I looked at a long row of medicine bottles and every evening I tried to figure out how to pay off medical bills, so I pushed ahead.  Knowing I spent money on this also pushed me to follow it to a T so I got my money's worth.  And it changed our lives.

Yes, I became one of those "before/after" picture girls and yes, I know how annoying that can be.  But damn, now I get why so many people post those things.  I really did feel amazing and I wanted the whole world to know it!  A month after I started eating properly and added in some highly modified exercise, I felt like an entirely different person.  I had energy.  I had stamina.  I slept well.  I cut back many meds.  Skip ahead to 6 months later, and I was off all meds.  I remain of all meds nearly 3 years later.  It still takes a small act of congress to get my head into the exercise game each day, but I know how I'll feel if I don't, and that's pretty great motivation. On the flip side, I've never worked out and regretted it, and I remind myself of that often.  I also find myself missing exercise when I'm on the DL and can't get to it.  Whoulda thunk it??

It's true what they say... move it or lose it.  I have NO intention of losing it.  I've come too far.  I want to have many more vacations with Mike and the kids, and I do not want to be the reason we hang in the hotel all day to rest.

Remember, do just a little more today than you did yesterday.  Even if it's a matter of a few steps more.  Park one spot farther away from the store.  Do one more squat.  Any improvement counts!  Cherish your body, and do all you can to keep it going.  It won't do it for you.



~K

No comments:

Post a Comment